Fine European Antiques and Objets d'Arts    Tel: 843.577.0104

Etched Engraving of “Hotel des Invalides” in Paris

Hotel des Invalides

LENGTH:     18.5 in. (47 cm)
DEPTH:     1.5 in. (4 cm)
HEIGHT:     16 in. (41 cm)

SKU: 1823 Category: Tags: ,

This building was initiated in 1670 by the “Sun King” (Louis XIV) to be an Hospital and Retirement Home for war veterans.Build by 1676 it received the same year 6,000 veterans and retained its primary function until early 20th C.As it was felt the veterans needed a Chapel,it was done by 1679 under the name (still used now) “Eglise Saint Louis des Invalides”. It’s 107 meters high and has a famous gilded dome visible from almost everywhere in Paris.It was redore (for the 5th time since 17thC.) in 1989 and necessitated the work of 10 “Maitres Doreurs” and 555,000 gold leaves ( 27 pounds of gold !)

The Etching presented here was heighten with colors and is marked:
.in the center :”drawn as seen and lithography by Aubrun” Number 16
.bottom left :”edited by Ledot the eldest in Paris 174 rue de Rivoli”
.bottom right : “Lithos by Godard ,Paris , 55 quai des Augustins”
TITLE:     Etched Engraving of “Hotel des Invalides” in Paris