“Love Asleep” Marble given by Napoleon Bonaparte to Princess Elisa Bacciochi
Italie – Circa 1805
Christened Maria Anna but officialy adopted name ” ELisa”,the younger sister of Napoleon Bonaparte married Felice Pasquale Bacciochi (later known as Levoy) in 1797.They got 4 children ,one being Elisa Napoleone Bacciochi Levoy (1806-1869) so called ” Madame Napoleon” .She got the title of ” Princess of Piombino” from the Emperor in June 27 1808.She married the “Comte” Filippo Camerata in 1824.
For her birth ,the Emperor (her Uncle) present was this Marble which represent Cupid asleep with his quiver and bow on his side. (important to be noted also that in 1806 Napoleon withdrew the Region of Carrara from the Kingdom of Italy and gave it to his Sister Elisa ,the mother of Elisa Napoleone) He also made -in 1806- an endowment to his new born niece of 150,000 Francs on which he wanted that 100,000 Francs per year were placed in annuities on the general Ledger of the public debt of France with a clause of immobilization until the legal age or wedding of the donee.
She was the first cousin of the “Duke of Reischtadt” ( son of Napoleon Bonaparte) and also of Louis-Napoleon who became Napoleon III (Emperor 1852-1870) and helped her a lot when she decided to go live in the poor village of Colpo in Brittany after the death of her son.
This marble was part of the Bacciochi succession established in Corsica (France) in 1924