Antique French Marble Statue from early 19th Century
Christened Maria Anna but official adopted the name "Elisa", the younger sister of Napoleon Bonaparte married Felice Pasquale Bacciochi (later known as Levoy) in 1797. They had four children, one being Elisa Napoleone Bacciochi Levoy (1806-1869) so-called "Madame Napoleon". She got the title of "Princess of Piombino" from the Emperor on June 27, 1808. She married the "Comte" Filippo Camerata in 1824. For her birth, the Emperor's (her uncle) present was this marble which represents Cupid asleep with his quiver and bow on his side. (Important to be noted also that in 1806 Napoleon withdrew the Region of Carrara from the Kingdom of Italy and gave it to his Sister Elisa, the mother of Elisa Napoleone). He also made -in 1806- an endowment to his newborn niece of 150,000 Francs on which he wanted that 100,000 Francs per year were placed in annuities on the General Ledger of the public debt of France with a clause of immobilization until the legal age or wedding of the donee. She was the first cousin of the "Duke of Reischtadt" (son of Napoleon Bonaparte) and also of Louis Napoleon who became Napoleon III (Emperor 1852-1870) and helped her a lot when she decided to go live in the poor village of Colpo in Brittany after the death of her son. This marble was part of the Bacciochi succession established in Corsica (France) in 1924.